Details on how to jailbreak and install font hacks for the Kindle can be found at MobileRead’s wiki.
- Microsoft’s Cambria font is an excellent drop-in replacement for the Kindle’s serif font
- Download an optimized version of the Georgia font for the Kindle 3
- Other modded fonts include:
- Fonts for Kindle 3 – includes Bembo, Constantia, Droid Serif, Georgia, Georgia2, ITC New Baskerville, Linux Biolinum, Linux Libertine, Miller Serif, Minion Pro, Palatino and Times New Roman
I’ve created a series of screensavers for the Kindle 3. There are 66 screensavers in total and to use them, you’ll need to jailbreak your Kindle and install the screensaver hack. Detailed instructions can be found here.
Download them individually below, or grab the zip archives:
- Fantasy screensavers (12 MB) (alternate version with the official "slide…to wake" banners)
- Nautical screensavers (9 MB) (alternate version with the official "slide…to wake" banners)
Frank Frazetta and Ken Kelly…my thoughts on their work echo those of Jaime Chamber in his
recent post on the same subject:
“As many young boys from the 80’s did, I fell in love with Conan the Barbarian. I loved the movies, the books, the comics…all of it. Others may see Arnold in all his post Mr. Olympia glory when thinking of Conan, but for me it’s always been Frazetta’s imagery that stuck with me for decades.”
The works of Frazetta and Kelly remain some of the most haunting fantasy pieces ever produced.
Finally, here are a few randoms I've found along the way…
I’ve also made a PNG template which can assist in making screensavers similar to the official screensavers.